Thursday, June 14, 2007

Bank Charges

Finally I have something important to blog about!



So you may have heard about the current backlash over bank charges. They like to charge you between £20 and £50 for going overdrawn, regardless of the amount or time you were overdrawn for. So I got my bank statement this morning and it said I went 52p over my overdraft limit, for about 3 days. This angered me, so I rang up intending to have a go at them about how the court ruled that banks aren't allowed to make a profit from these penalties, they can only legally charge you the same as whatever it cost them. A nice lady answered and I went through all my security details, and I was just like this doesn't seem very fair, and she was like "ok, as a gesture of goodwill I'll just remove that charge for you". I nearly fell off my chair! It seems that's all you have to do, ring up and they will not charge you £30! I'm pretty amazed to be honest.



Obviously it's a bit distorted how not taking £30 off me is a "gesture of goodwill" (hey mate, as a favour for you, I won't steal your money today!) but let's take it once step at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day.



Incidentally the bank in question is the Abbey National, I wouldn't go so far as to say I "recommend them", but if you've had worse luck with other banks maybe make the switch.





Technorati Tags: , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

or...don't go overdrawn?