Tuesday, February 20, 2007

STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING RIGHT NOW

I'VE JUST READ SOME SHOCKING NEWS ON THE BBC! Sorry no need for caps really.
Media portrayal of young women as sex objects harms girls' mental and physical health, US experts warn.

Magazines, television, video games and music videos all have a detrimental effect, a task force from the American Psychological Association reported.

Sexualisation can lead to a lack of confidence with their bodies as well as depression and eating disorders.

Such images also have a negative effect on healthy sexual development in girls, the researchers said.

Oh my god. Really? I wonder how much that study cost? It's been clear for ages that clothes shopes and supermarkets have been marketing adult style clothes to younger and younger age groups, probably down to about 7 by now. I've honestly seen too many 12 or 13 year old girls in my local town centre wearing things you wouldn't expect on a 21 year old in public. The worst thing is jeans they wear with things like "cute ass" across the back... I'm not joking. And then their parents get in a ruckus about pedophiles.............

Anyway.

EXAMPLES OF SEXUALISATION
Dolls aimed at young girls with sexual clothing such as fishnet tights
Clothing, such as thongs, for seven to 10-year-olds

Call me a prude but that's rather messed up.

No comments: